Application for Residency
- Apply from December 1st through January 15th for the May through August residency period.
- Apply from March 1st through April 15th for the September through December residency period.
- Apply from August 1st through September 15th for the mid-February through April residency period.
Hambidge is closed from mid-December to mid-February.
Hambidge utilizes SlideRoom for residency applications which requires signing up and creating a password. You will be able to save incomplete applications and return to them later. Below is a summary of the information requested on the application. Hambidge will only accept on-line applications.
Note: All new applicants will automatically be considered for the NEA Fellowship which provides a $700 stipend and waives the $400 residency fee for two week residencies. This is offered to the nine top scoring candidates.
Application materials include:
A one-page statement/proposal which addresses the concept and direction of presented work, stage of career and why Hambidge is important to your project.
A 300-word Bio which includes a brief description of education, training, achievements and honors.
Resume/Summary of Professional Activities & Achievements
This one-page summary should include educational background, teaching, publications, exhibitions, awards, honors and other pertinent experience.
These should be recent and representative of the best work according to the applicant’s medium and discipline. First time applicants and returning Fellows applying after 5 years should submit work examples as described below. These will be reviewed by the peer panels. Recent Fellows are asked to submit one group of examples to update our files.
- Visual Arts - Ten high resolution images of your work. Any detail images must be included in that number. Image format: jpg, gif or png; up to 5 MB each.
- Writing - Up to 30 pages of a novel, play, short story or other written work. Please include a synopsis if necessary. Poets submit 5 to 8 poems or appropriate excerpts from longer works. For writers who work in languages other than English, submit both original language examples and English translations. Document format: pdf; up to 10 MB each.
- Musical Composition and Performance - Submit no more than 3 separate works. Audio format: mp3; up to 30 MB each.
- Film, Choreoraphy, Performance Art and Video - Submit no more than 3 separate works. Video format: flv, wmv, mov or mp4; up to 61 MB each.
- Design (Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Environmental Design) - Submit no more than three project/design examples, up to 4 general images of each and no more than four additional, detail images of each. Image format: jpg, gif or png; up to 5 MB each.
- Natural, Environmental, or Social Sciences - Provide curriculum vitae and abstracts from recent works along with descriptions of your areas of research. Document format: pdf; up to 10 MB each.
$30 Application Fee
The last stage of the on-line application will require payment via credit or debit card.
Also, on the application, you will need to supply your first, second and third choice dates for your residency, making the variation in those dates as wide as possible. Residencies may vary from 2 to 8 weeks. Arrival is on Tuesdays and departure on Sundays. Eight-week residencies will only be scheduled in late fall, winter and early spring. The maximum length of residencies awarded for mid-May, through mid-August is four weeks. Applications for one week residencies are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Collaborators must submit individual applications, but may choose to share studio/living space.
Hambidge no longer requires letters of recommendation as part of the application materials.